Foreign And Out Of State Child Support Orders

December 15, 2022

 Child Support Orders

When parents are separated or divorced, it is not uncommon for one or both of them to move to another state or country to get a fresh start or pursue a career. However, when parents relocate, there may be issues with foreign and out-of-state child support orders, especially if the obligor parent fails or refuses to pay. But can the parent who receives child support enforce the support order when the obligor parent moves to another state or country? In this situation, the recipient parent may be concerned about the continued receipt of child support payments – and understandably so. Unfortunately, parents who have an obligation to financially support their children may leave the state or country in an attempt to avoid paying child support. The experienced family law attorneys at Johnson Law Group help separated and divorced parents fully understand their rights and obligations when dealing with foreign and out-of-state child support orders. Reach out to Johnson Law Group by calling (720) 463-4333 or start a chat with our attorneys at (720) 730-4558.

How Do Out-of-State Child Support Orders Work?

There are mechanisms and procedures in place that allow enforcement of child support orders that were issued in another state. The party seeking the enforcement of an out-of-state child support order may not need to register the order in the new state. Enforcing a child support order in another state can be as simple as submitting certain documents, including a copy of the out-of-state order, to the appropriate support agency in their respective state. The agency will review the documentation submitted by the party seeking enforcement to decide whether or not the order can be enforced through administrative means. If not, the order may need to be registered in a state other than where it was originally issued. However, registration is not necessary if the other party agrees to the administrative enforcement.

What Is the Purpose of Transferring a Child Support Order from One State to Another?

Out-of-state child support orders are governed by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which allows the transfer of child support orders from one state to another. But what is the purpose of transferring out-of-state orders to another state?

  1. Enforcement of the order. Transferring a child support order may be necessary to enforce a child support order that was issued in another state.
  2. Modification of the order. A child support order may need to be transferred to another state for the purposes of modification of the order.

When the transfer is complete, the state to which the order is transferred has jurisdiction over the order, including its enforcement and modification. In that case, the state that initially issued the order would lose jurisdiction.

Is It Possible to Enforce a Child Support Order Outside the United States?

Enforcing a child support order outside the United States may be possible, depending on the country where the obligor parent currently resides. However, the parent who wants to seek enforcement of a child support order outside the country must have a valid order issued by a court in the United States. If you need help enforcing or modifying a child support order that was issued in another state or country, you can contact a knowledgeable attorney to discuss your options. Attorneys at Johnson Law Group regularly assist clients who need help with the enforcement of foreign and out-of-state child support orders.

In What Countries Can Child Support Orders Be Enforced?

Currently, more than 50 countries around the world that agreed to cooperate with the United States on matters related to the enforcement of child support orders that were issued in the United States. The full list of countries that signed agreements with the United States to help enforce child support orders can be viewed on the website of the United States Department of Health & Human Services.

But how does it work? For example, if the child’s parent who owns child support moves to Canada (or any other country on the list), the recipient parent will first need to contact their state’s child support agency to initiate the enforcement process. The agency will typically contact the necessary office of child support enforcement in Canada (or another country where the obligor parent currently resides) to enforce the order.

What if a Parent Moves to a Country Not On the List?

Unfortunately, not all countries have agreed to cooperate with the United States on the enforcement of child support. Often, individual states sign their own agreements with neighboring countries (for example, with Mexico) to enforce child support orders. If a parent moves to a country that is not on the list, consider contacting an experienced attorney to check state laws and explore your options for enforcing child support.

When the obligor parent lives in a country that is not on the list, the recipient parent may need to get that country to issue a new child support order to be able to enforce it. However, to make things even more complicated, not all countries have the necessary laws in place to collect or enforce child support orders. That is why you may need to consider working with a knowledgeable attorney to help you navigate the laws in the foreign country and explain the ways to enforce child support.

Can a Parent Leave the United States When Behind on Child Support?

While the United States Constitution protects an American’s right to travel wherever and whenever they like, there are restrictions for parents who want to leave the country but are behind on child support payments. According to the United States Department of State, individuals with $2,500 or more in child support arrears are ineligible for a passport. In other words, parents who owe child support will not be issued a United States passport as long as they have more than $2,500 in arrears.

Contact a Family Law Attorney to Get Help with Foreign/Out of State Child Support Orders

Dealing with foreign and out-of-state child support orders can be a complicated matter. If you need help enforcing or modifying a child support order when the obligor parent has moved to another state or country, consider contacting a family law attorney. Our attorneys at Johnson Law Group assist clients with all issues related to child support. We are available at (720) 463-4333 for a phone consultation or at (720) 730-4558 for text-to-chat.

Johnson Law Group Logo

Subscribe To Receive Important Information

Join our email list to receive the latest news and updates from our Family Law Team.

Thank you for subscribing to Johnson Law Group. You will now start receiving important information.

Written by Family Law Attorney Myles S. Johnson
Divorce doesn’t have to be dramatic. For the litigants, losing your spouse is significant enough. But you can choose the way it affects your daily life. The only guarantee I can give is that the feeling that you have right now will not be the feeling you end with. This is a season in your life, and it must be approached that way.
Our experience, dedication to Colorado families, and our success in each case we represent sets us apart from the competition. We are passionate about family and estate law. Our highly-qualified team will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible results in your case.


13599 East 104th Avenue 
Suite 300
Commerce City, CO 80022
Phone: 720-452-2540
Fax: 720-500-6087


2373 Central Park Blvd.,
Suite 300
Denver, CO 80238
Phone: 720-452-2540
Fax: 720-500-6087


2580 E Harmony Rd
Suite 201 
Fort Collins, CO 80528
Phone: 720-452-2540
Fax: 720-500-6087


2438 Research Pkwy
Suite 205
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Phone: 719-624-8712
Fax: 720-500-6087


Fast & responsive family law team

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Johnson Law Group, LLC is located in Denver, CO and serves clients in and around Englewood, Denver, Aurora, Littleton, Wheat Ridge, Adams County, Arapahoe County and Denver County.
Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Copyright © 2023 All rights reserved.
720-445-4444 linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram